Senior English Subtitler
Senior English Subtitler
About the Team
The Editorial team is focused on creating English templates for translation of subtitles, creating English subtitles and closed captions for the hearing-impaired, and providing Quality Control (QC) of English subtitles translated from other source languages.
As a Senior English Subtitler, you will be responsible for editing and proofreading English subtitles for a variety of streaming and broadcast clients with a focus on non-English original version content and English closed captioning. With your impeccable English writing skills, passion for entertainment media content, attention to detail and sensitivity to viewer experience, you will ensure all deliverables adhere to company and client specifications and industry best practices. You will collaborate with global teams on initiatives to improve end-to-end workflows and manage quality.
• Perform full linguistic QCs of subtitles translated into English to ensure they are natural, fluent and idiomatic English and request clarification from linguists when meaning is unclear
• Perform full linguistic QCs of transcribed English subtitles for templates and closed captioning deliverables
• Annotate cultural references and idiomatic expressions in templates as an aid to translators
• Fact-checking and verification of key names and phrases, ensuring consistency and accuracy
• Work with global subtitling teams to ensure client expectations for quality and on-time delivery are met
• Work with global team management to ensure workflows are effective, efficient and operationally successful
• Provide constructive feedback to English editors and into-English translators
• Contribute actively to the training of new employees and serve as a mentor as to training approaches used by team; provide input for evaluations
• Verify client feedback on quality and provide input on client queries regarding quality as and when needed
• Support root cause analysis for English quality issues
• Provide support for other product lines such as dialogue lists and spotting lists as needed
• Testing and debugging of proprietary software
What You Bring:
• Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Translation, Creative Writing or relevant equivalent experience
• 3-5 years of experience transcribing or Quality Control of English subtitles and captions. Experience translating subtitles or captions into English an asset
• English native speaker or ILR Level 5 proficiency, fluency in other languages an asset
• Exceptional audio sensitivity – ability to understand a variety of English accents
• A passion for global cinema and television
• The ability to exercise critical thinking and analysis while working with creative content
• Detail-oriented, ability to prioritize tasks and make sound judgment calls while working under deadline
• The ability to mentor or coach less experienced colleagues
• Well-rounded knowledge of historical and contemporary events, cultural references, slang, idiom
• The ability to identify risks and effectively communicate them
• The ability to engage with a culturally diverse, distributed team
• Mastery of Microsoft Office or Google Suite
• Background in audiovisual and film production an asset
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental & vision coverage, vacation & sick leave, 401(k), and more.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Deluxe. Please inform the company's HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2y5m7-3-238-199-4-42 in your application.