Reporter I, Multi-Media Journalist
JOB DESCRIPTION: KSN is looking for a part-time multi-media journalist ready to take their skills to the next level. Position requires daily reporting from a bureau, in Southwest or North Central Kansas, telling stories that will air across the entire market and impact all Kansans. We are looking for someone to be an active member of a community and be fully immersed in the culture of that community. The right candidate will tell personal stories, hold officials accountable and develop sources. Must have strong social media engagement. Opportunities for advancement for those committed to their personal and professional development.
You'll live in a community full of good, friendly people who want to help you succeed. Reasonable drive to Wichita, an underrated city with great restaurants and nightlife, an up and coming arts and culture scene and very little traffic. If you are ready to come to a place where you can grow your craft, working with a great team, you are invited to apply.
JOB SUMMARY: Report news and feature stories, blogs and other material originated by the reporter, as assigned, and read them accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner.
• Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
• Gather accurate and interesting information for newscast presentations.
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Develop ideas for news, feature and enterprise pieces, as well as investigative stories.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material, shoot and edit video and write stories based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various digital and social platforms to give updates and share news stories with the public.
• Play an active and visible role in the community.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Must be fluent in English - Bilingual/Spanish a plus.
• Promote teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel
• Adept at ad-lib presentations, without aid of scripts and/or teleprompters.
• Possess exceptional research skills.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related field preferred; minimum two years of strong collegiate and internship experience will be considered
TRAINING/EQUIPMENT: Operate newsroom computer systems, editing and camera equipment.
Provide resume and digital reel when applying.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Position often requires work in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwemej-44-210-237-158-42 in your application.