Reporter, Courts and Legal
Remote / Virtual
Nexstar Media Inc. has an immediate opening for an experienced Consumer Reporter who is an innovative and dynamic journalist for a newly formed duopoly in the Washington DC DMA, Market #9. The Consumer Reporter will work with news department leadership to launch new and expanded news coverage and local programming on WDVM, WDCW (CW) and our digital assets in the market. Candidate must have a proven track record of reporting on consumer-related news. This person should expect to appear on camera daily covering everything that affects the consumer. We're looking for a great storyteller who can drive the creation of compelling consumer content across linear and digital platforms.
Washington DC is the center for the nation's politics, but the market offers so much more. The city is home to some of the best museums in the country from the Smithsonian to the National Museum of African American History and Culture to the National Archives. You will find year-round theaters with live shows, concerts, streets festivals and more. DC is also a sports mecca with professional basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer and more. There's plenty to do outdoors from the National Parks to bike trials. Washington, DC also boasts incredible food with more than 20 restaurants receiving Michelin stars in 2021 alone. It's a great place to live, and a great place to cover sports!
The Consumer Reporter collects, analyzes and presents facts about consumer-related news by interview, investigation or observation for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Willingness to shoots and edits some news content
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for digital platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Familiarity with newsroom software including AP ENPS
• Ability to shoot video and edit on non-linear platforms including Adobe Premiere
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum three years' experience in news reporting
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqvjpm-44-200-171-74-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.