Supervisor: Senior Manager, Communications
Classification: Part-Time/Non-Exempt (Temp)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
This apprenticeship opportunity is to take place from August 2022 to November 2022.
The Communications Apprentice will support the full-time staff and deal exclusively with the media, both for internal and external purposes. The selected individual will have daily writing assignments, will assist with pregame and postgame notes, will write features for the Astros Magazine, and will edit all team press releases. The Apprentice will sort through all news websites, package all pertinent clips, and distribute it throughout the office and to media personnel. This position is recommended for candidates with a background in Communications, particularly Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing and Sports Management.
• Assist in writing team publications and work directly with the media.
• Complete daily writing assignments and assist with pregame and postgame notes.
• Compose features for the Astros Magazine and will edit all team press releases.
• Sort through all news websites, package all pertinent clips, and distribute it throughout the office and to media personnel.
• Set up the press box for media personnel prior to the games, which includes running stat packs, lineups, and game notes, and will help with the distribution of media credentials on game days.
• Other duties include general baseball research assignments and select appearances at offsite team events.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and/or Skills:
• In pursuit or recent completion of a bachelor’s degree in Communications or a related field is preferred.
• Proficient in Word and Excel.
• Basic experience in Adobe InDesign
• Strong written and interpersonal skills. Writing samples required.
• High level of professionalism with ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment.
• Superior attention to detail and deadline orientation.
• Ability to work efficiently.
• Highly motivated with strong work ethic.
This job operates in an office, clerical setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a sedentary role. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see and hear. The employee is required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands/fingers to utilize various electronic platforms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjwvn0-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.