The iconic WBZ-TV news has an immediate opening for a hardworking, dynamic Assignment Editor. This individual will operate as a highly competitive news professional with a passion for breaking news that flourishes with beating the competition and getting the story. Additionally, this role is critical in acting as partner to the community and one must be able to deal with all aspects of the public and display a high degree of sensitivity to the concerns of viewers and constituencies with different points of view.
• Manage newsroom assignments, monitor phones, coordinate logistics, monitoring scanners and social media
• Monitor police/fire scanners for breaking news, work with Assignment Manager, Assistant News Director on story ideas, and expanded coverage plans
• Meet deadlines in breaking news situations while logistically dispatching crews efficiently
• Dispatch crews to stories and breaking news, using appropriate logistical and journalistic judgement
• Assist in finding stories with emphasis on our key brand points and tracking stories as they develop
• Handle time and logistics to make sure the selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
• Generate original stories and develop follow-ups, track social media for news gathering, update information in assignment desk i-news daybook, maintain contact lists, and story files
• Develop new contacts with government agencies (city, state, federal) and public relations representatives
• Minimum two years prior TV News Assignment Editor experience is strongly preferred, however, a significant experience in print reporting or Radio News will be considered.
• Newsroom Experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Team player
• Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6xooj-44-200-40-195-42 in your application.