Do you love to tell stories about inspiring athletes and coaches, great displays of teamwork, and local kids working hard on and off the field? This isn't your average sports reporter job. Sure, we shoot games and show highlights - but our main goal is to tell great feature stories that will appeal to the hard-core sports fan as well as the casual viewer.
The Burlington-Plattsburgh television market is home to the Olympic Village in Lake Placid, NY, and many ski resorts that are home to world-class athletes. We cover the University of Vermont, SUNY Plattsburgh and a number of other area colleges. High school sports is a big focus all year round, including an extended high school football segments in the fall.
The Sports Reporter is part of a two-person sports department and carries a lot of responsibility. The Reporter will serve as the primary presenter of weekend sports stories and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to the viewer. The rest of the week, the Reporter will enterprise and produce feature stories, shoot highlights, and assist with the production of the day's sports segments. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a professional newsroom, but talented first-timers will be considered. A passion for local sports coverage and the drive to produce great content as a team is a must!
• Produces and presents sports reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all sports content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes and delivers sports stories in a clear and concise manner
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating sports programming and other content
• Responds to breaking sports events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required
• Works closely with the sports team to develop comprehensive sports coverage
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
• Shoots video for sports reports
• Sets up, composes and executes video shots
• Maintains video equipment
• Edits video clips for television broadcasts and eMedia content
• Writes stories for the website and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• One to two years' experience in sports reporting or anchoring
• Superior on-air presence
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4o0qq-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.